Huntsman | Lofgran
If You Need Help Call Us 801.838.8900
Huntsman | Lofgran Family Law Divorce Decree Modification & Enforcement

Through Modifications and Enforcement, Our Team Helps Utahns Manage Divorce After the Decree

Just because your divorce is achieved, doesn’t mean you won’t still have differences

Like marriages, few divorces are perfect. Even if the terms set forth in your divorce decree seem fine, they may not stand up to the test of time. When you need to modify the child custody, parenting plan, or child or spousal support terms of your divorce decree, our Salt Lake City lawyers at Huntsman | Lofgran make sure that all your Ts are crossed, and your Is are being dotted. Moreover, our team approach puts our lawyers’ more than 45 years of combined legal experience on your side of the table, providing a greater perspective that can lead to more creative solutions.

Child custody modification

If you have an order of joint legal custody or joint physical custody, then it likely also provides for the type of dispute resolution you and your spouse must use before you can petition the divorce court to modify your custody order.

Of course, the two of you are not confined to the process stipulated in the order — you can resort to other Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) processes. Once you resolve your dispute, you can file a petition to modify and a stipulation to enter judgment.

If you and the other parent do not stipulate to the modification, the court determines if there has been a material and substantial change in your circumstances (for example, if a parent has remarried) since the prevailing order was entered and if modifying custody would be an improvement for, and in the best interests of, your child. If the case is contested, you have to present evidence supporting your positions.

Child support

A modification of custody may require modifying child support. A petition to modify child support must be filed if less than three years has passed, and there has been a “material change” in:

  • Custody terms
  • The wealth or assets of a parent
  • The income (plus or minus 30 percent) of a parent
  • The employment potential and ability of a parent to earn income
  • The medical needs of the child
  • The legal responsibilities of a parent for the support of others
  • The availability or cost of healthcare coverage
  • Work-related or education-related childcare expenses of either the payer or payee of child support
  • The emancipation of the child by marriage or coming of age

The material change must result in a difference of 15 percent or more between the support amount ordered by the decree and the support required by state guidelines.

Parenting plans, alimony and other modifications

Parenting plans, alimony and other divorce orders can also be modified. Parenting plans stipulate the efforts the ex-spouses must make to arrive at a new parenting agreement. If the parents file inconsistent parenting plans, the court may appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the best interests of the child. The guardian ad litem also may be requested to devise a parenting plan, which the court may choose to adopt in part or in whole.

Alimony orders may be modified if there is a material change in circumstances, such as the payer’s loss of employment or filing for bankruptcy or the payee’s remarriage or cohabitation.

Enforcing the terms of your divorce decree

If your ex-spouse violates any term stipulated by your divorce decree, our legal team at Huntsman | Lofgran in Salt Lake City files a contempt of court motion, complete with supporting paperwork and subpoenas of any witnesses who support your claims, and we ensure that your ex is served. Once the court makes a judgment in your favor, we hold your ex responsible for satisfying the court’s judgment within the deadline given.

Make sure the terms of your divorce continue to treat you fairly

Our attorneys at Huntsman | Lofgran in Salt Lake City understand the complexities of divorce and know how to ensure that your divorce decree terms remain fair to both you and your child. Call us at 801.838.8900 today or contact us online. We provide compassionate and objective counsel, and take your rights and best interests to heart.

Contact Form

In order to help you more quickly, please fill out the quick form and submit.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.